Ok, the fun of doing something new and crazy, eating keto, is wearing off. In fact I’m having a major “cheat” moment with a raspberry scon at Starbucks! First bread with n two weeks. Need to stay strong. Got to get some more varied “go to” recipes / foods. Bacon and eggs is fun for only so long.
The Keto saga deepens. Bulletproof coffee is now a daily routine and I’m enjoying it! Actually, after you push by the idea of drinking butter, it’s very good.
Today’s breakfast (sorry no pictures) eaten after 11am as per the program, was three scrambled eggs and 1/2 a tin of sardines in olive oil! I like sardines fortunately but even I found the initial smell a little “rough”. Thankfully, the tase was much milder that the smell.
Next up on the new program was an exogenous ketone supplement.
This stuff is brutally expensive at almost $10/per serving so I’m not sure this will be a regular part of the diet. Today, as recommended, it’s 1/2 a serving to allow my body to adapt and avoid what Keto folks call disaster pants :-). Apparently a lot of exogenous ketone supplements taste pretty bad. While Pruvit apparently has the best taste on the market, there was one online comment that said it tasted like “death”! Fortunately, this seems to be quite an over reaction. The Raspberry Lemonade was quite acceptable, if fact I found it very tasty and surprisingly sweet. I considered the sweetness a “treat” because not much on the Keto diet is sweet. Learn more about the product here. It’s only been a few minutes but I have an inner warmth feeling in my stomach. Who knows what will happen next.
What’s for dinner? Pizza! S is making a cauliflower/rice crust and I’m going to make the Fathead Pizza Dough crust. Perhaps there will be a post later about how that went.
Well, hopefully not too crazy, but I’m getting into the Ketogenic Diet and doing a lot of reading, listening & research in general. It seems to have some fabulous benefits with the usual problem of making a big change in eating habits, and this will be a big switch!
I’m not planning on jumping in hard core but more of a gradual adoption of a new way of eating. For sure there will be some major breaks with the plan over the next week or two. For example, we’re committed to an event at
DeLuca’s where it will be unlimited pasta, bread, desserts and wine, not exactly a Keto friendly environment.
So, what have I been looking at and doing so far? Here’s a few lists:
- Keto Zone Diet – Dr. Don Colbert – reading now.
- The Case Against Sugar – Gary Taubes – on hold at the library
- Why we get fat and what to do about it – Gary Taubes- on hold at the library
- Good calories, Bad calories – Gary Taubes – on hold at the library
Web Sites & Podcasts
- Tim Ferris #117 with Dom D’Agostino Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer
- Tim Ferris #172 with Dom D’Agostino — The Power of the Ketogenic Diet
Things I’ve tried so far
- Bulletproof coffee
- Butter in coffee!?! Sounds weird but tastes pretty good. Plus MCT oil.
- Keto Breakfast Taco
- Proclaimed a success by my breakfast buddy. Chopping up the bacon makes it a little easier to eat without destroying the egg taco shell.
- Stevia, well actually Truvia
- Dropping Splenda & sugar for Stevia. Tried this a while back but the taste was uggg! They must have improved the tase or I’m more tolerate now. Actually in the Bulletproof Coffee, a sweetener is optional for me, it’s good without.
- Cut the Carbs
- Bye Bye to bread etc. This most likely will be a little tough to get used to. So used to lots of carbs.
Planning or thinking about trying
- Exogenous Ketones
- Specifically the pruvit Keto OS product. – on order 🙂
- MCT powder
- Supposed to be easier on your GI trac and more easily transported for use on the go.
- DCA (?)
- Precision Xtra Blood Glucose & Ketone Monitoring System